Tax Season Starts Today!
Oh yes, it’s that time of year again, time to file taxes for 2017. Are you filing your own taxes? Not quite sure where to start? With so many options available, here’s what you need to know.
The IRS has begun accepting tax returns today, January 29th. The deadline to file your taxes is Tuesday, April 17, 2018, two days later than usual because of the weekend and Emancipation Day holiday. More than 52 million people filed their own taxes in the 2017 tax filing season.* It’s an option more and more people are taking advantage of because it’s less expensive and gives you control. It’s also easier and faster than ever before.
Make the Process of Filing your Taxes Easier by Following These Tips
- Gather all financial and tax documents ahead of time, including last year’s tax return.
- Don’t procrastinate and wait until the last minute. You’ll be super frustrated and more likely to make mistakes.
- Choose a method of filing. The IRS has many resources available. You can file with free file or fillable forms, use a free tax return preparation site (like FreeTaxUSA.com), commercial software (like TurboTax), or find an authorized e-file provider. Learn more about these options at IRS.gov.
- When filing your tax return, take advantage of the direct deposit option. This is the fastest way to receive any refund you are eligible for.
- Use local resources available to you. Many community libraries offer classes, advice, and other help free of charge. Make yourself aware and take full advantage.
We hope that filing your tax return this year goes as smoothly as possible. Find out more about what you need at www.IRS.gov.