Water, whether from a pipe in the wall, or rising water from rain and flooding can cause immense damage to a home. With the right steps and quick action the damage can can be minimized, allowing you to save some of your belongings. Water in your home is not to be treated lightly, as it creates the perfect environment for mold to develop and can affect your walls, furniture, carpet and lead to poor in home air quality conditions. If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe in the home you should immediately shut off the water to the house and call a plumber. Preventing these kinds of conditions are vital to keeping your home and air clean and healthy. In addition to calling your Insurance agent you will want to take a few steps to help beginning to repair the damage.
1. Disconnect the power, unplug any electronics, and place any movable items up and out of the waters reach. The faster you can asses the waters level and determine that it is a threat to your belongings the quicker you can take action to start saving your property. Turn off your power, especially if water is rising near the level of the outlets, remove all of your electronics and remove your carpet and under padding.
2. Get rid of the water. If you are without electricity there are still methods to remove water from the home. Soaking the water up with old towels, buckets and mops are a tested method for removing water from your home. As long as your neighborhoods sewers aren’t backed up you can pour the water your bilge down the drain, or into your lawn. A wet/dry vacuum can also be used however use caution when mixing electricity with water.
3. Dry out the affected area. Once the water has been removed use fans and a dehumidifier to help dry out the area. If possible, open the windows and allow air to flow through the home to dry out faster. The sooner you get the area dry the less chance there becomes for mold to begin taking root.
4. Disinfect the area and keeping it moisture free. After the affected areas are dry you will want to use a good disinfectant that can destroy and bacteria that might have settled on your walls, furniture, or other items. After the area is clean you still need to be wary of mold and spores that are already taking hold. There are commercial non-toxic products that you can spray as a fine powder over the area and let it sit overnight as it removes and mold that may have begun taking root.
Whenever your home has been affected be sure to contact your agent right away so the rebuilding process can begin and help get your home and life back to normal.
To learn more about your coverage, or to find out what plans are offered, visit Westerholm Koehler.
To learn more about improving your coverage or more ways to keep your property safe,
Please Call Us at (830) 379-7352.